Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[as modifier] A cation derived from tetrazole or one of its derivatives, especially the triphenyl derivative.
- ‘The tetrazolium ion, which is commonly used in viability tests, could not penetrate the inner coat of watermelon, tomato or pepper seeds.’
- ‘The seeds were then cut in half longitudinally and deposited on a sterile Whatman No.1 filter paper impregnated with 1% tetrazolium chloride.’
- ‘The standard procedure for this assay was to remove the cell culture medium and add fresh media containing the MTS tetrazolium reagent.’
- ‘The ability of the seedlings to reduce triphenyl tetrazolium chloride was then determined, using the method of Steponskus and Lanphear.’
- ‘After 24 and 48 h, aliquots were transferred to 96-well plates and incubated for 3 h with a tetrazolium salt.’
- 1.1[mass noun] A yellow dye used as a test for viability in biological material.
- ‘The stains acridine orange, ethidium bromide, azur II, eosin B, trypan blue, Giemsa solution and nitroblue tetrazolium were purchased from Sigma.’
- ‘This technique is more reliable than tetrazolium chloride for this species, because some deeply dormant viable seeds show minimal staining with tetrazolium.’
- ‘Seeds are soaked overnight in water then treated with tetrazolium to give an indication of viable, abnormal, and dead seeds in the seed lot.’
- ‘Upon exhumation, we examined each replicate for germinants, rotted seeds, and whole firm seeds, which we tested for viability with tetrazolium.’
- ‘The failure of all 1-year-old dry - stored seeds to germinate likely reflected a loss of viability, rather than evidence of a dormant state, because the small percentage that stained positive to tetrazolium did so weakly.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.