Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sporting contest in which each participant competes in four events, typically riding, shooting, swimming, and running.
- ‘As opposed to his European counterparts - who usually come into pentathlon from a swimming and fencing background - Fox's interest in the sport was piqued at age 12 when he was a member of a riding club and competing in tetrathlon.’
- ‘I enjoyed competing in the Pony Club triathlons and tetrathlons and did quite well.’
- ‘My interest in Triathlon is stemming from a couple of hazy weekends during college when I struggled through the intervarsity tetrathlons (run - swim - shoot - show jumping) for UCD.’
- ‘Courtney is another athlete who was introduced to the sport of Modern Pentathlon in 2004 through competing in Pony Club triathlons and tetrathlons.’
- ‘The gun dogs definitely appealed to me more and fitted in well with our lifestyle of eventing and tetrathlons with the horses.’
- ‘Programs will be offered in dressage, eventing, showing, jumping, mounted games, tetrathlons, quizzes, vaulting, fox hunting, and polocrosse.’
- ‘There are between 3-5,000 people in the UK taking part in the biathlon on a regular basis, and around 10,000 people taking part in pony club tetrathlons, which is the main entrance point for the modern pentathlon.’
- ‘Please could members register their interest for triathlons and tetrathlons as soon as possible, with Audrey Turner as teams and individuals need to be organised.’
- ‘Sadly, someone has to keep the home fires burning while we're away, make hay to see us through next winter, tend the menagerie, re-point the house, restore the windmill and keep working through the summer, as well as run Jake around tetrathlons and numerous other competitions.’
- ‘In addition to triathlons she has also taken part in a number of tetrathlons which involve swimming, running, horse riding and shooting.’
- ‘The mini boys tetrathlon saw Hamish Glynn coming 2nd, and getting best shoot, and in the mini girls tetrathlon, Rebecca Mayle came 5th.’
- ‘We never went out to party much as my daughter and her pony Flicka were doing all sorts of Pony Club competitions, especially tetrathlons which, as anyone involved in them will know, takes up all weekend.’
- ‘He now moves to England where, over the coming weekend, he will compete in the English tetrathlon, again representing Carlow Hunt Pony Club as an individual contestant.’
- ‘The older Youth A / B competitors were competing in the tetrathlon, while the younger Youth C performers did the triathlon.’
- ‘As a member of Lauderdale Pony Club, Hazel represented them at regional level in dressage and cross-country eventing and was also a keen competitor at tetrathlons, again competing at higher levels as an individual internationally.’
1950s: from tetra- ‘four’ + Greek athlon contest, on the pattern of pentathlon.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.