Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A spore occurring in groups of four, in particular (in a red alga) each of four spores produced together, two of which produce male plants and two female.
- ‘The haploid tetraspores erminate and give rise to haploid gametophytic plants.’
- ‘The haploid tetraspore is released from this filament and is carried by water currents and tides to new locations.’
- ‘These different responses between tetraspores and carpospores, suggest a different ecophysiological response with regard to survival and interspecific competition in nature of the gametophyte vs sporophyte.’
- ‘The tetraspores and the gametophytes are the only haploid stages in the coralline algae.’
- ‘From subsequent examination of the shells, he concluded that tetraspore-bearing plants of Polysiphonia violacea had developed from carpospores and sexual plants from tetraspores of Griffithsia bornetiana and Dasya elegans.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.