[mass noun] A grey mineral consisting of a sulphide of antimony, iron, and copper, typically occurring as tetrahedral crystals.
- ‘Hurst observed pyrargyrite partly and completely enclosing polybasite crystals on tetrahedrite.’
- ‘The district also produced many other mineral species in attractive specimens, including honey-golden barite, fluorapatite, gold, polybasite, rhodochrosite, and tetrahedrite.’
- ‘We collected excellent crystals of tetrahedrite to 5 mm scattered on drusy quartz from a zone in the siliceous envelope of the orebody.’
- ‘Copper-silver ore, located in the cores of the chimneys, consists primarily of chalcopyrite, tetrahedrite, pyrite, and galena along with electrum and a number of minor silver minerals.’
- ‘The ore shoot is mainly in the Molas Formation and is surrounded by a silicified envelope that contains galena, sphalerite, chalcopyrite, tetrahedrite, and pyrite.’