Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A dense colourless gas which is polymerized to make plastics such as polytetrafluoroethylene.
- ‘The report states the listing is based on findings from laboratory animal studies of tetrafluoroethylene in which cancer was observed in multiple organs of multiple species following long-term inhalation exposures.’
- ‘Tetrafluoroethylene is listed in the 9th Report as "reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen."’
- ‘The architects considered many options for the roof materials and finally chose an ultra-violet-stable fluoropolymer, ethylene tetrafluoroethylene, welded into cushions.’
- ‘The pyrolysis of tetrafluoroethylene was studied in the temperature and pressure range 300 to 455C and 25 to 760 torr.’
- ‘The material safety data sheet for the mold-release spray indicated the presence of a small amount (less than 1%) of tetrafluoroethylene, a fluorocarbon monomer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.