Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a compound) having a molecular structure of four fused hydrocarbon rings.
- ‘Mirtazapine is a tetracyclic antidepressant unrelated to tricyclic antidepressants and SSRIs.’
- ‘Practitioners prescribing the tetracyclic antibiotics should be aware of the syndrome of increased intracranial pressure, and pay particular attention to the ocular fundus for papilloedema.’
- ‘Cucurbitacins are oxygenated tetracyclic triterpenes that have been shown to have emetic, antineoplastic, and cytotoxic effects on herbivores, resulting in feeding and oviposition deterrence and reduced growth of consumers.’
- ‘A 1998 study showed that pentacyclic alkaloids weakly activated human B- and T-lymphocytes, and that tetracyclic oxindole alkaloids reduced the activity of pentacyclic oxindoles.’
- ‘Maprotiline is the only tetracyclic antidepressant available in the US.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.