Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An order of reptiles which comprises the turtles, terrapins, and tortoises. They are distinguished by having a shell of bony plates covered with horny scales, and many kinds are aquatic.Also called Chelonia
- ‘All turtles are placed within the order Testudines.’
- ‘In terms of molecular structure, the researchers found the order Testudines to be closely related to the more recently evolved order Crocodilia.’
- ‘The first formal use of the word Testudines as a taxon name can be found in Batsch.’
- ‘Most likely, Testudines progressed in a unique evolutionary direction.’
- ‘All these taxa are relevant to the history of the conquest of land by vertebrates because they are outside the large clades of extant tetrapods (Apoda, Caudata, Anura, Mammalia, Testudines, Sauria).’
Modern Latin (plural), based on Latin testa ‘shell’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.