Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An apparatus used for assessing the performance of a piece of mechanical or electrical equipment.
- ‘Our aircraft will never actually fly, but it will experience representative loading based on actual fleet usage as we ‘fly’ it on the ground in the test rig.’
- ‘Considering the components in our test rig, I was pretty satisfied with the performance… plus it's a bit lighter than the Cooler Master.’
- ‘The testing will still happen, it might be in a computer or it might be on some kind of test rig.’
- ‘Surprisingly, observers were allowed to stand in a semicircle just a few feet behind the test rig during this firing.’
- ‘The new centre, which brings together equipment that has been scattered around several laboratories and buildings, including a semi-anechoic chamber and a flow duct silencer test rig, previously housed a garage.’
- ‘Using a special test rig the system was used to measure and provide a picture of the noise from the exhaust outlet all the way to the surface.’
- ‘Lola's state of the art base in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire houses a 50% scale commercially available wind tunnel, composites facility and 7-post vehicle dynamic test rig.’
- ‘We began to evaluate TL damage sensing by using a standard test rig in which a weight is dropped onto the sample to provide an impact of known energy.’
- ‘Before jumping into the overclocking details, I am going to go over the specifications of the test rig that was used.’
- ‘When under full load on our test rig the unit barely heated up, showing that the unit is able to disperse heat very well.’
- ‘Mechanical test rigs for subjecting samples to strain and measuring forces have been included in the ESEM in studies of polymer films and wood fibres.’
- ‘The test rig represents the first closed-cycle, multi-shaft gas turbine in the world.’
- ‘Ground static thrust tests have been completed on one engine and the second engine is now undergoing operational testing on Me 262 Project's static test rig.’
- ‘It's the ultimate test rig, but the Ransom is also coldly impersonal.’
- ‘The machine, a Banias test rig, has been on for at least an hour, we reckoned.’
- ‘These researchers connected a test rig consisting of a 60-mL syringe containing air to a manometer and used it to measure the amount of force generated when cricoid pressure was applied.’
- ‘When it was opened in 1997, this area had just two test rigs, and supplemented the testing done by outside contractors.’
- ‘In confronting manufacturing challenges, the laminator, Don Mathieson Staff Glass Pty Ltd., created a test rig incorporating prototype glazing.’
- ‘If you need an integrated, automatable audio test rig, dScope is something to look at.’
- ‘Dyson's Experiment 1 involved the insertion of a tube into the exit of SU3 in a test rig so as to try to ensure that there was no re-circulation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.