One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pilot who flies an aircraft to test its performance.
- ‘In this account of life as a test pilot, fighter pilot, and combat commander, Ross tells his Air Force story with wit, candor, and refreshing irreverence.’
- ‘She got her pilot's license in 1948 and became an accomplished stunt flier and test pilot.’
- ‘A World War II ace, he became a test pilot and was the first man to break the sound barrier.’
- ‘Many of Papana's experiences as a test pilot were documented in Flying magazine.’
- ‘Allen was felt to be the test pilot with the most large four-engine experience.’
- ‘The test pilot found the aircraft remarkably stable and easy to control, and a pleasant surprise to all of us.’
- ‘I resolved early on that I would become an aeronautical engineer and test pilot and as I progressed through school I took courses that would lead to that goal.’
- ‘Sharma was a test pilot with the Indian Air Force when the Russians began to look among them for an astronaut to join a Russian space exploration.’
- ‘The ironic thing is that he was a test pilot in the Navy and had several close calls in aircraft, but always survived them.’
- ‘In 1939 he was assigned as a test pilot at Wright Field, Ohio.’
- ‘The team includes test and evaluation engineers, maintenance staff and a test pilot.’
- ‘Once the aeroplane is registered we'll get a test pilot in and, if everything is approved, we'll be able to fly it.’
- ‘Showing faith in the design, Northrop accompanied the test pilot on the plane's second flight so the pilot could show him a wobble that developed at certain speeds.’
- ‘The trust works in conjunction with the Young Eagles, a worldwide organisation founded by Chuck Yeager, the American test pilot who broke the sound barrier in the 1950s.’
- ‘He is an incredible value to the operations side of the house due to missions as both a test pilot and operational flyer.’
- ‘After getting out of the Air Force he became a test pilot for North American and had lots of time in fighter aircraft.’
- ‘I later became a test pilot for the RAF and on leaving the service I started to teach art.’
- ‘The company knew that they had a winner from this first test flight but the cautious test pilot recommended certain changes - some of which were easy, some of which took time.’
- ‘Afterward he flew planes transporting the Royal Family and then became a test pilot until his retirement in 1985.’
- ‘He is currently a test pilot with the Aircraft Research and Development Test Unit at RAAF Base Edinburgh in South Australia.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.