Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A piece of music set to be performed by contestants in a competition.
sample, example, bit, snippet, illustration, demonstration, exemplification, instance, selection, representative pieceView synonyms
- ‘The former's Fantasia on an ostinato was written as test piece in 1985 for the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition.’
- ‘As for Nina Osina's final performance of the commissioned test piece - Alma-Ata by Kazakh composer Almas Serkebayev - this was meltingly lovely.’
- ‘Monica faced the difficult task of singing three classical test pieces in foreign languages.’
- ‘Contests are rigorously judged and include a compulsory test piece.’
- ‘It involves a test piece of the student's own choice.’
- ‘The so-called First Rhapsody for clarinet (Debussy never wrote a Second) Debussy originally wrote for clarinet and piano as a test piece for students at the Paris Conservatoire.’
- ‘The Fourth Symphony was chosen as a test piece for the Bernstein Conductor's Competition in Jerusalem in 1995.’
- ‘Messiaen composed several short test pieces for the Ecole Normale during the 1930s and three of them appeared in the musical supplements of the monthly magazine Le Monde musical, which was published on the last day of each month.’
- ‘No mention is made in the Lemoine edition of the reason for this work's composition as a test piece for the teaching diploma at the Ecole Normale.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.