One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flight during which the performance of an aircraft or its equipment is tested.
- ‘Taxiing back from our test flight, there was a kind of nervous excitement in the cabin.’
- ‘In one such incident, he was in a test flight when one of the engines cut out on his aircraft, she said.’
- ‘I was the third pilot to take the glider for a test flight yesterday at Quest.’
- ‘He made arrangements for me to fly any time there was a test flight.’
- ‘On 17 January 2003, the third test flight was undertaken.’
- ‘After substantial refurbishment, it performed its first test flight in 1998 and has since appeared at several air shows.’
- ‘The first test flight of the new aircraft will take place before the end of March and Singapore Airlines will be the first to operate the A380 in spring 2006.’
- ‘Since John had to do a test flight, it was an excellent chance for a photo mission.’
- ‘There were twelve gallons of fuel aboard - plenty for a short test flight.’
- ‘After the successful test flight, Altair glided to a landing on the remote desert runway.’
- ‘The plane was on a test flight and ditched in a lagoon one mile from the field.’
- ‘Unfortunately, on its first test flight, it flew only 500 yards at an altitude of 100 feet before crashing.’
- ‘The test flight was carried out in a microlight aircraft.’
- ‘They currently plan to perform an unmanned test flight in the third week of December from Kindersley, Saskatchewan.’
- ‘It has been said over and over again by the senior shuttle program management that every flight is a test flight.’
- ‘The decision came a week ahead of the first test flight of Australia's Wedgetail aircraft at Seattle in the US, where the aircraft are being built.’
- ‘Nasa scientists had hoped to make aviation history with the supersonic test flight.’
- ‘The first aircraft assembled was aircraft number 43 which was flown on a test flight shortly thereafter for twelve minutes.’
- ‘The six-hour test flight over western Washington State enabled Boeing to confirm the compatibility of the MESA radar with aircraft systems.’
- ‘In January, the European aircraft manufacturer will roll out the first of its A380 super-jumbos, in preparation for its first test flight by the end of March.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.