A case that sets a precedent for other cases involving the same question of law.figurative ‘it was a test case for cooperation between the teams’
- ‘The appellant's action was a test case on which eleven other cases raising the same issues depended.’
- ‘Legal arguments are being prepared for what could become a test case in front of magistrates this month.’
- ‘In the course of his submissions the Solicitor-General referred to this appeal as a test case.’
- ‘I think it's an interesting test case for how this law will be applied.’
- ‘Barristers have drawn up a legal opinion setting out a test case for a high court judicial review of the government's position.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.