One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An arrangement of triplets, especially in iambic pentameter, that rhyme aba bcb cdc etc., as in Dante's Divine Comedy.
- ‘Dante's terza rima is frustratingly hard to get right in English, and many translators have nearly gone mad trying to get it right.’
- ‘He favours challenging rhyme schemes and difficult forms, such as the sestina and terza rima.’
- ‘Merwin opts not to follow the terza rima strictly, or rather he rhymes so freely that he chooses not to speak of it.’
- ‘In the fifth assignment we finally stared metre directly in the face: the assignment was to write a sonnet, terza rima or ottava rima, in iambic pentametre.’
- ‘It is an elegantly satisfying form, a dramatic equivalent of terza rima, which democratically gives each actor two scenes each.’
Italian, literally ‘third rhyme’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.