Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An arrangement of triplets, especially in iambic pentameter, that rhyme aba bcb cdc etc., as in Dante's Divine Comedy.
- ‘In the fifth assignment we finally stared metre directly in the face: the assignment was to write a sonnet, terza rima or ottava rima, in iambic pentametre.’
- ‘It is an elegantly satisfying form, a dramatic equivalent of terza rima, which democratically gives each actor two scenes each.’
- ‘Merwin opts not to follow the terza rima strictly, or rather he rhymes so freely that he chooses not to speak of it.’
- ‘He favours challenging rhyme schemes and difficult forms, such as the sestina and terza rima.’
- ‘Dante's terza rima is frustratingly hard to get right in English, and many translators have nearly gone mad trying to get it right.’
Italian, literally third rhyme.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.