Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The part of a country's economy concerned with the provision of services.
- ‘In addition to the 850,000 strong workforce directly employed in the industry, it has also created 1.15m indirect employment opportunities in tertiary industries such as transport, catering, security and housekeeping services.’
- ‘Given these incentives, every person who gains employment in primary industry or property improvement of any sort generates four more job opportunities downstream in secondary and tertiary industries.’
- ‘‘Shanghai has a robust economy, yet its tertiary industry is relatively weak,’ Jiang said.’
- ‘Shanghai will give priority to the development of tertiary industries such as service and catering.’
- ‘From primary through to tertiary industries, all are significantly reliant upon information technology.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.