One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Semi-formal dress for a man consisting of a white shirt, long trousers (or shorts with long white socks), and no jacket.‘he appeared before the assembled journalists in Territory rig’
- ‘Dress code to my wedding is Territory rig.’
- ‘In the Northern Territory, Territory rig may be worn as an alternative to the lounge suit.’
- ‘That's what the blokes wear, but what's Territory rig for girls?’
- ‘He was wearing Territory rig with a cape when we met him under a bridge at night.’
- ‘Shorts and sandals are de rigueur, and you'll soon learn that even the fanciest events require Territory rig.’
- ‘For the occasion, he wore Territory rig, an open-necked white shirt, shorts, and long socks.’
- ‘Wearing an aquamarine silk dress, the Princess of Wales appeared in the aircraft doorway with her husband, who was kitted out in what is known locally as Territory rig.’
- ‘With 'Territory formal', 'Territory rig', and 'Territory informal' scrawled across invitations, the stress of knowing how dressy is too dressy can land guests in a sweat.’
- ‘The place is the Indonesian Consulate, and the dress is Indonesian traditional costume or Territory rig.’
- ‘I was very surprised to see an invitation to Government House explaining that Territory rig includes a tie!’
1960s: from the fact that the standard business suit was adapted for conditions in Australia's tropical Northern Territory.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.