Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A specially designed outdoor area for snowboarding, containing a variety of ramps, jumps, etc.
- ‘For the snowboarders, numerous terrain parks are scattered throughout complete with jumps of all sizes, rails and very well groomed half pipes.’
- ‘There are also four terrain parks and a 400 ft competition superpipe.’
- ‘Still under development is a Nordic skiing terrain park.’
- ‘From the top of the Crest Express lift, snowboarders can hit three terrain parks for half-pipe aerials and rail grinding.’
- ‘You can still do tricks on skis but the ratio is about 20:1 against them in the terrain parks.’
- ‘You will find Freeskiers in the terrain parks that almost every ski resort in North America has created over the last 2 years.’
- ‘This was the first real mountainboard terrain park and has jumps, tables, rails and other high-performance "toys."’
- ‘But I smile every time I go to a resort and see snowboarders and skiers having fun in the "terrain park."’
- ‘There's a variety of terrain too, ranging from steep exposures, wooded areas, open powder fields and a big terrain park.’
- ‘Free-riding, not terrain parks, is the dominant theme for snowboarders.’
- ‘Terrain parks provide a skier with more variety, especially when there's too little snow in the mountains.’
- ‘There, though, I couldn't help but notice the bowls, pistes and terrain parks.’
- ‘Come winter, drive the 12 miles west of Pontiac to get above it all at Alpine Valley, a ski resort with 25 runs and a snowboard terrain park.’
- ‘This year I have joined the many grommets in the terrain park and the huge black diamond jumps that make you feel so alive.’
- ‘Terrain parks are the big draw (when it's not dumping) now.’
- ‘For the best terrain parks, Whistler, in British Columbia, can't be beaten.’
- ‘Natural terrain parks are carved out of the trough of the canyon, and there are even some groomed beginner runs.’
- ‘Heading to a terrain park soon?’
- ‘Back when I started, terrain parks were not really there yet.’
- ‘The area offered a small terrain park with a 30-foot tabletop jump and a 30-foot flat rail on a 340-foot long slope.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.