One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flat roof, especially the roof of an Indian or Eastern house that is used as a cool resting area.
- ‘Unlike what you see here in the United States, most houses in Gujarat (and most of India) will have a terraced roof, i.e., a flat roof with stairs leading up to it, either from inside the house or from the outside.’
- ‘After this introduction, visitors are encouraged to stroll on the terraced roof, where views of the Kawerau Gorge are framed under the translucent canopy floating overhead.’
- ‘Clark could catch glimpses of terraced roofs beyond.’
- ‘Terraced roofs have a further great advantage over thatched roofs in that they are fire-proof.’
- ‘A tiled roof is almost as cool, and not nearly so heavy, as a terraced roof; and if properly constructed is much more durable and fire-proof than a thatched one.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.