Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a large class of organic compounds including terpenes, diterpenes, and sesquiterpenes. They have unsaturated molecules composed of linked isoprene units, generally having the formula (C5H8)n.
- ‘The nectar is sucrose-dominant but also contains low concentrations of glucose, fructose, free amino acids and possibly terpenoids.’
- ‘Because these terpenoids contain many functional groups - mainly unsaturated and saturated aldehydes and ketones - how they exert their antimicrobial activity is not well understood.’
- ‘Many species endemic in Australia are known to synthesize and accumulate significant quantities of volatile terpenoids.’
- ‘However, the vast majority of terpenoids are classified as secondary metabolites, compounds not required for plant growth and development but presumed to have an ecological function in communication or defense.’
- ‘Agents used in household cleaning compositions are composed of structurally diverse classes of chemicals, including surface active agents, phenols, and terpenoids.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.