One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Australia, New Zealand, and India) a small tern.
- ‘Other important species breeding within the preserve include Kermadec petrel, black-winged petrel, wedge-tailed shearwater, little shearwater, white-bellied storm petrel, masked booby, red-tailed tropic bird, Sooty tern, noddy and grey ternlet.’
- ‘A few black-naped terns, and fewer ternlets, laid eggs on the strand, and the brown-winged - which incubates in miniature caves and grottoes and under shelving rocks, and is therefore unaffected by tidal inconstancies - had a most prosperous season, the colony dispersing stronger in numbers than ever.’
- ‘Balls Pyramid is home to tens of thousands of seabirds, including gray ternlets, wedge-tailed shearwaters, and black-winged petrels.’
- ‘Fourteen species of seabirds breed on the islands, including masked boobys, grey ternlets, sooty terns, white terns, common noddys, black noddys, red-tailed tropic birds, little shearwaters, wedge-tailed shearwaters, flesh-footed shearwaters, black-winged petrels, whitebellied storm petrels, Kermadec petrels and Providence petrels.’
- ‘Lesser known to the general public are grey ternlets which generally stay well out at sea but may shelter on land during continuously stormy weather.’
- ‘Boobies nest along the windy cliffs, white terns drift like snowflakes among the kentia palm forests and ternlets nest along the base of the cliffs.’
- ‘When we left about an hour later we counted the ternlets again - between 50 and 60.’
- ‘The island is inhabited by nesting Pacific masked boobies and Pacific gray ternlets.’
- ‘The tern family has many different looking birds living here, including the solid black and brown noddies, the beautiful blue-grey noddy, the white tern (manu sina), and the grey-backed tern (gogo sina).’
- ‘Storm petrels and grey ternlets skimmed the waves around us.’
- ‘Crested, Sooty and Grey-backed terns, blue-grey noddies and masked boobies all lay their eggs on the ground within these designated protected zones making no proper nest.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.