One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of extremely poor quality.‘rough strip joints and tenth-rate clubs’
substandard, below standard, below par, bad, deficient, defective, faulty, imperfect, inferior, mediocreView synonyms
- ‘Nevertheless, all the translations of Pushkin's poems that I have ever seen make him resemble a tenth-rate imitator of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.’
- ‘There have been plenty of men, of course, who write more, but what they wrote after the three hours were up was second-rate stuff - and sometimes third-rate, sixth- and tenth-rate stuff.’
- ‘He instructed and cajoled, and as a result American museums are filled with old masters rather than the tenth-rate salon paintings of the dernier siècle that they might otherwise have contained.’
- ‘Uriah Heep is watered down tenth-rate Jethro Tull, only even more boring and inane.’
- ‘‘This is clearly tenth-rate drivel,’ a senior official said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.