One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large collection of tents, typically one forming temporary or makeshift accommodation for refugees or homeless people.
- ‘Take the idea of the tent city in Vancouver, where homeless people put it all on the line to protest homelessness and government inactivity.’
- ‘Next to the camp was a large tent city, housing hundreds of volunteers who had come to support the military by cooking, cleaning, and clearing debris.’
- ‘Authorities asked residents to take pilgrims into their homes, while a tent city was opened on the outskirts of the capital.’
- ‘To cope with the millions expected to arrive daily in Allahabad, the authorities have constructed a giant tent city.’
- ‘Camp Premier is a tent city erected for the homeless.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.