One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large collection of tents, typically one forming temporary or makeshift accommodation for refugees or homeless people.
- ‘To cope with the millions expected to arrive daily in Allahabad, the authorities have constructed a giant tent city.’
- ‘Authorities asked residents to take pilgrims into their homes, while a tent city was opened on the outskirts of the capital.’
- ‘Camp Premier is a tent city erected for the homeless.’
- ‘Take the idea of the tent city in Vancouver, where homeless people put it all on the line to protest homelessness and government inactivity.’
- ‘Next to the camp was a large tent city, housing hundreds of volunteers who had come to support the military by cooking, cleaning, and clearing debris.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.