Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small insectivorous mammal native to Madagascar, different kinds of which resemble hedgehogs, shrews, or small otters.
- ‘Afrotheria is a newly recognized taxon comprising elephants, hyraxes, sea cows, aardvarks, golden moles, tenrecs, and elephant shrews.’
- ‘Even comprehensive analyses have not clarified phylogenetic relationships among aardvarks, tenrecs, golden moles, and elephant shrews.’
- ‘The dental formula of tenrecs varies considerably among species, reflecting the diversity of the group.’
- ‘Small, spiny, pointy-nosed creatures known as tenrecs are the equivalents of shrews, moles and hedgehogs.’
- ‘Among mammals, the carnivores, primates, and tenrecs all have fairly well-established African connections.’
Late 18th century: from French tanrec, from Malagasy tàndraka.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.