Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(especially in Scotland or the US) a room or a set of rooms forming a separate residence within a house or block of flats.
- ‘The flat was part of a refurbished block of tenements that belonged to a housing co-operative.’
- ‘Various diseases all too often swept through entire city blocks of tenements.’
- ‘Rents were horrendous for urban dwellers, with entire families doubling up in crowded single room tenements.’
- ‘City planners were leveling block after block of tenements.’
- ‘Scotland's tenement flats are a well-loved part of urban culture.’
- 1.1 A house divided into and let as separate residences.
- ‘The flat was on the first floor of a tenement block, and had a lovely front room.’
- ‘You do not specify which floor your property is on within the tenement.’
- ‘Finally they had arrived at a run down tenement that advertised rooms for cheap.’
- ‘It was a basement flat in an Edinburgh tenement, with something of a history.’
- ‘He spent his working life designing commercial premises, tenements and mansion houses.’
2A piece of land held by an owner.
- ‘Their lands and tenements should be seized into the king's hands.’
- 2.1Law Any kind of permanent property, e.g. lands or rents, held from a superior.
- ‘The roadway is being used for obtaining access and egress to and from land outside the dominant tenement.’
- ‘He holds the tenement by a rent due to the maker of the recognizance.’
- ‘The grantor intends to reserve rights over the tenement granted.’
- ‘Permission had not been granted by the owners of the servient tenement for them to park their vehicles.’
Middle English (in the sense ‘tenure, property held by tenure’): via Old French from medieval Latin tenementum, from tenere ‘to hold’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.