One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A beetle of a family ("Tenebrionidae" ) that comprises the darkling beetles.
- ‘All of the newly emerged seedlings were consumed and killed by a tenebrionid beetle.’
- ‘I found a couple black tenebrionid beetles hiding under debris.’
- ‘Also on his page are pictures of a large tenebrionid beetle and a camel spider.’
- ‘I found a large numbers of small black tenebrionid beetles.’
- ‘I also found quite a few woodlice and some tenebrionid beetles.’
1920s: from modern Latin Tenebrionidae (plural), from tenebrio ‘night spirit’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.