One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A substance such as papain which is rubbed on to meat or used as a marinade to soften the fibres.
- ‘Others prefer to use a paste of meat tenderizer in vinegar.’
- ‘Enzymes, such as papain from papaya and bromelain from pineapple, are used in extract form as meat tenderizers.’
- ‘Doctors generally recommend pain relievers, ice packs and meat tenderizer to treat insect bites and stings.’
- ‘It turns out the steaks had been injected with meat tenderizers and seasonings.’
- ‘Chemical tenderizers, using enzymes which break down proteins, can also be rubbed over meat before cooking.’
- ‘The veal with black olives and mushrooms appeared to be liberally doused with meat tenderizer.’
- ‘This contains an enzyme that works as a natural meat tenderizer.’
- ‘The subtilisins are used in such diverse applications as meat tenderizers, laundry detergents, and proteolytic medicines.’
- ‘Commercial tenderisers have papaya as a major ingredient.’
- ‘As a natural tenderiser, it makes one of the most effective marinades around’
- ‘The leaves may also be used in omelets and other egg dishes, or as a meat tenderizer.’
- ‘This additive is found in Chinese food, seasoned salt, meat tenderizers and soy sauce.’
- ‘The fat itself acts as a tenderizer by preventing the loss of moisture.’
- ‘Pineapple is somewhat of a meat tenderizer and its juice adds great flavor in marinades.’
- ‘You can also do the above, but sprinkle them with a natural meat tenderizer.’
- ‘On the other hand, the company must have run out of tenderizer by the time it got to its Steak-Outs.’
- ‘This additive is an ingredient in many processed meats and tenderizers.’
- 1.1 A small hammer with teeth on the head, used to beat meat to make it tender.
- ‘Put the veal cutlets between two pieces of wax paper and smack them flat with a tenderizer.’
- ‘She stood up smoothly and whacked it as hard as she could with the tenderizer.’
- ‘Sylvie was holding a meat tenderiser - a square metal mallet with little spikes on each hitting surface.’
- ‘There's an Italian veal cutlet with crisscross marks from its time under the tenderizer.’
- ‘I feel as if I have been lightly pounded with a meat tenderiser from head to toe.’
- ‘She felt like she had been pummeled with a meat tenderizer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.