One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A substance such as papain which is rubbed on to meat or used as a marinade to soften the fibres.
- ‘Doctors generally recommend pain relievers, ice packs and meat tenderizer to treat insect bites and stings.’
- ‘Commercial tenderisers have papaya as a major ingredient.’
- ‘As a natural tenderiser, it makes one of the most effective marinades around’
- ‘On the other hand, the company must have run out of tenderizer by the time it got to its Steak-Outs.’
- ‘Enzymes, such as papain from papaya and bromelain from pineapple, are used in extract form as meat tenderizers.’
- ‘Others prefer to use a paste of meat tenderizer in vinegar.’
- ‘You can also do the above, but sprinkle them with a natural meat tenderizer.’
- ‘This contains an enzyme that works as a natural meat tenderizer.’
- ‘This additive is found in Chinese food, seasoned salt, meat tenderizers and soy sauce.’
- ‘Chemical tenderizers, using enzymes which break down proteins, can also be rubbed over meat before cooking.’
- ‘It turns out the steaks had been injected with meat tenderizers and seasonings.’
- ‘This additive is an ingredient in many processed meats and tenderizers.’
- ‘The subtilisins are used in such diverse applications as meat tenderizers, laundry detergents, and proteolytic medicines.’
- ‘The leaves may also be used in omelets and other egg dishes, or as a meat tenderizer.’
- ‘The veal with black olives and mushrooms appeared to be liberally doused with meat tenderizer.’
- ‘The fat itself acts as a tenderizer by preventing the loss of moisture.’
- ‘Pineapple is somewhat of a meat tenderizer and its juice adds great flavor in marinades.’
- 1.1 A small hammer with teeth on the head, used to beat meat to make it tender.
- ‘Sylvie was holding a meat tenderiser - a square metal mallet with little spikes on each hitting surface.’
- ‘There's an Italian veal cutlet with crisscross marks from its time under the tenderizer.’
- ‘I feel as if I have been lightly pounded with a meat tenderiser from head to toe.’
- ‘Put the veal cutlets between two pieces of wax paper and smack them flat with a tenderizer.’
- ‘She felt like she had been pummeled with a meat tenderizer.’
- ‘She stood up smoothly and whacked it as hard as she could with the tenderizer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.