One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A European freshwater fish of the carp family, popular with anglers and widely introduced elsewhere.
- ‘This lake is mainly carp, with rudd, roach, eels and tench as back-up fish.’
- ‘Carp, bream and tench all figure in pleasure catches throughout the summer.’
- ‘Across the way on Acorn Lakes, carp, skimmers, tench and crucians can be found.’
- ‘I have to admit that at the moment nothing excites me more than fishing for big tench.’
- ‘The third lake is the smallest and is mainly stocked with crucian carp and tench.’
- ‘To cut a long story short, I could not get near the tench because of the bream.’
- ‘Experts will try to net all the native carp, bream and tench in the lake and take them to a fish farm.’
- ‘I had fished this for carp, and caught quite a few tench on boiled baits and carp rigs.’
- ‘Over the years roach and tench have found their way in.’
- ‘The club has a lake stocked with fish such as perch, roach, tench, rudd, carp and pike.’
- ‘All species feed well in the spring but the two that really start feeding are carp and tench.’
- ‘Carp, tench and bream have really started to move in the last couple of days.’
- ‘Carp, tench and bream have really come to life.’
- ‘There are a few koi, golden orfe and golden tench swimming about.’
- ‘We had between us 7 carp, a 3lb tench and two roach.’
- ‘A feeder angler was taking some nice tench and crucians on corn.’
- ‘Anglers were doing well for mixed bags of tench, carp, bream and a few roach.’
- ‘Although we caught a few small carp, we mainly caught rudd and the odd tench.’
- ‘I particularly enjoyed our day on Miltons Lake where we each had over 1001b of crucians and tench.’
- ‘Getting up at the crack of dawn wasn't much fun, but the tench fishing certainly was!’
Middle English: from Old French tenche, from late Latin tinca.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.