Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] A cellulosic fibre obtained from wood pulp using recyclable solvents.
- ‘I have a celery colored dress made of 100% Tencel.’
- ‘This dissolves fabrics made of cellulose fibers, such as cotton, linen, rayon and Tencel ®.’
- ‘A cotton / Tencel blend gives the jeans a combination of strength and softness.’
- ‘Some fabrics related to rayon are cupro and lyocell, better known as Tencel.’
- ‘Natural in origin, Tencel was designed as an environmentally friendly cellulose fibre to be used in fabrics to maximize comfort and functionality.’
- ‘Tencel denim is the latest big story in denim.’
- ‘Tencel is touted as more environment-friendly.’
- ‘Shirts, pants and a classic polo made of cotton and Tencel are accompanied by trendy knitwear of multi-coloured yarns.’
- ‘Suit coats and blazers are still predominantly made of wool and other natural fabrics, with blends of materials such as Lycra and Tencel.’
- ‘Tencel is a pure cellulosic fibre though it is man-made.’
- 1.1A fabric made from Tencel.
- ‘Using designer fabrics such as Tencel, Stretch Silk and the commonplace denim, the students brought a fresh new look to contemporary design.’
- ‘Lew also said yarn-dyed Tencel fabrics in large plaids were being picked up for both men's and women's wear.’
- ‘Whether designers or consumers, comfort is the most important factor and Tencel fabrics can meet this demand.’
1960s (proprietary name of various yarns and fabrics): an invented word.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.