One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Do something that is risky or dangerous.‘bike couriers tempt fate at every traffic light’
run a risk, live dangerously, play with fire, sail close to the wind, risk itView synonyms
- ‘She was convinced that if she signed a will, she'd be tempting fate.’
- ‘The team tempts fate by planning a victory celebration before a ball has been kicked.’
- ‘I don't want to tempt fate, but my sore throat appears to have gone.’
- ‘I should never have tempted fate by proudly declaring that I had never been suspended in my career.’
- ‘It may be tempting fate to say it, but the trains have been running well these last few days.’
- ‘He is tempting fate by messing around with a very dangerous drug.’
- ‘I wouldn't like to tempt fate by saying I have been cured.’
- ‘I reassured her that it worked fine, which was tempting fate.’
- ‘Odysseus tempts his fate and risks his life.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.