One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A percussion instrument consisting of a hollow block of wood which is struck with a stick.
- ‘The temple blocks and claves echo each other with a rhythmically identical pattern.’
- ‘A set of five temple blocks are tuned to match the pitch of traditional Chinese temple blocks.’
- ‘This percussion set is tuned to match the pitch of traditional Chinese temple blocks.’
- ‘I need to borrow some temple blocks.’
- ‘The music is atmospheric without being intrusive: temple blocks provide necessary clatter.’
- ‘Softer than the sound produced by a temple block, the woodblock is a harsh and gritty instrument.’
- ‘The temple block is a percussion instrument originating in China, Japan and Korea, where it is used in religious ceremonies.’
- ‘The temple blocks sound pitches higher or lower, depending on their size.’
- ‘These temple blocks have an explosive but full sound.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.