Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An Indonesian dish made by deep-frying fermented soya beans.
- ‘Add cubed tempeh to pasta sauce, spread soy butter on a whole wheat pita instead of peanut butter or toss soy sprouts on a salad or in stir-fry dishes.’
- ‘Soybean-based products, such as tofu and tempeh, can be a good alternative to meat because they contain all of the amino acids your body needs to make a complete protein, just like meat.’
- ‘Try portions of tofu, tempeh (fermented tofu) and soya milk.’
- ‘The Asian diet includes grains such as rice and noodles, and soy foods like tofu and tempeh.’
- ‘Nuts, seeds and dried fruits are good sources of zinc, as are sprouted legumes, seeds and grain, tahini, fermented soya products like tempeh and miso, and legumes.’
- ‘Nutritionally speaking, tempeh is very similar to tofu.’
- ‘Soy is available in a variety of forms, including tofu, edamame, miso and tempeh.’
- ‘Soy products - such as soy milk, soy flour, soy nuts, tofu and tempeh - contain isoflavones, plant-based compounds that may reduce your risk of prostate cancer.’
- ‘But because tempeh is fermented, it has distinct health benefits that tofu doesn't.’
- ‘It consists of plain steamed rice served with beef stew, salted eggs, fried beancurd, tempeh, cucumber, basil, mung beans and chili sauce.’
- ‘Soy foods like hot dogs, soy sausage, tempeh, and even soy pastrami are also great substitutes because they contain no saturated fat.’
- ‘Proteins are comprised of amino acids, which are obtained from such sources as fish, meat, eggs, cheese, legumes, tofu (soya bean curd) and tempeh (fermented soya beans).’
- ‘She claims that the traditional process of making fermented soya products like tofu or tempeh destroys many of the allegedly dangerous chemicals in soya, unlike modern factory methods used today.’
- ‘Meaty Brazil nuts add a healthy crunch to these savory veggie burgers, which are beefed up with tempeh and black beans.’
- ‘Soya-based foods such as tofu, tempeh and soya milk and yoghurt are all rich in oestrogen-like compounds called isoflavones.’
- ‘Tofu, tempeh and other soy foods are complete proteins, but most plant proteins are deficient in one or more essential amino acids, making them incomplete.’
- ‘Add tofu, tempeh, soybeans, soy powder or soymilk to your diet.’
- ‘Textured soy protein and tempeh are excellent meat alternatives that can completely or partially replace ground meat to reduce intake of saturated fat and cholesterol.’
- ‘Tofu and tempeh make great alternatives to grilled meats.’
- ‘My parents have been very positive about my meals, and I am very proud of my father, who has been trying dishes laced with tofu or tempeh.’
From Indonesian tempe.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.