One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Of the earth as a planet.
- ‘It became increasingly obvious that this was the secret of the ancients - they used this natural telluric energy, focusing it in certain places, for their own purposes.’
- ‘The aim was to detect long-term abnormal changes of the telluric field, which were possibly related to imbedding earthquakes.’
- ‘Let's see, and we also call this period the Anthropogene, the era in which mankind's activities became a ‘new telluric force which in power and universality may be compared to the greater forces of earth’.’
- ‘These stones, or these steeples, are working in tandem with the earth's telluric energies coming up from the wells.’
- ‘Yet Hepworth consistently professed a Romantic attitude of emotional affinity with nature, speaking of carving both as a ‘biological necessity’ and as an ‘extension of the telluric forces which mould the landscape’.’
- 1.1 Of the soil.
- ‘I do not experiment with telluric energies or sacred geometry.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin tellus, tellur- ‘earth’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.