One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
With a striking or revealing effect; significantly.‘the events of the story tellingly illustrate the changing face of society’sentence adverb ‘there was, perhaps tellingly, no mention of the wedding’
- ‘I hated it every time it came on the radio, though tellingly, I don't ever remember myself reaching for the dial to switch it off.’
- ‘The dance production was as clear as spoken words, every movement motivated and tellingly simple.’
- ‘This small moment speaks tellingly of the way that masculinity is defined for the main character.’
- ‘Tourism, that most commodified form of travel, is tellingly known as "sightseeing."’
- ‘She says, "I love you". Tellingly, he responds, "I want you".’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.