One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make predictions about a person's future by palmistry, using a crystal ball, or similar methods.‘during uncertain times people flocked to have their fortunes told’
- ‘Then an older man, wearing a lab coat but still strongly reminiscent of both the tarot reader and the zodiac expert, ran his fingertips over the slides, as though they were Braille, and told her fortune.’
- ‘The last time someone told my fortune they didn't say a word about living in another country so I discounted most of the things that they said.’
- ‘You may want to save these though, since many believe that you can use them to tell your fortune.’
- ‘My friend Jennifer decided one day that she would tell my fortune using an ordinary pack of playing cards.’
- ‘And after that was attended to, she drew up a chair to the rickety table, and told her fortune with an old deck of cards.’
- ‘After a session with the local witchdoctor who told our fortune, we sampled the wonderful hot springs nearby.’
- ‘In Asia, there are people who can tell your fortune by just looking at your palm or face.’
- ‘I was in the middle of telling someone's fortune when I heard a commotion.’
- ‘I know fortune cookies rarely tell your fortune, but when did they start telling you off?’
- ‘She took her daughter out to see them and they admired the little girl as they told her fortune.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.