Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A television screen or other visual display terminal:‘spectators could only see the action on the field by looking at the stadium's giant telescreen’
- ‘Orwell's telescreen is now there in your home - on your desktop computer.’
- ‘In the past when I have described and criticized some outrage perpetrated by the telescreen, one or two of my correspondents have asked me why I waste my time writing about such things - it's just TV!’
- ‘The silence of the presses is deafening and the telescreen continues to bleat.’
- ‘On the two occasions I have heard him perform (on the telescreen, I hasten to add), what I heard was degraded, simple-minded, noisy, tuneless pop wailing.’
- ‘The two-way telescreen bears a close enough resemblance to flat plasma screens linked to "interactive" cable systems, circa 2003.’
- ‘Orwell's Big Brother was merely a face on the hoardings, a voice on the telescreen.’
- ‘The telescreen was emphatically not for entertainment.’
- ‘A big "telescreen" upstage is sufficient on the effectively utilitarian and spare set.’
- ‘For some reason the telescreen in the living-room was in an unusual position.’
- ‘Two stories up he passed by the telescreen in the hall.’
- ‘They gradually became addicted to the "telescreen" and could no longer tell real life from reality tv etc.’
- ‘For a while, there - while the information overload of my new computer/Internet toys was dominating, in the 1980s and 1990s - the trip to the bookstore was just too much time to take away from my precious telescreen.’
- ‘The air in the room was silent and dead as pictures of war flashed across the telescreen.’
- ‘The telescreen received and transmitted simultaneously.’
- ‘Her gaze remained fixed on the telescreen.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.