A lens with a longer focal length than standard, giving a narrow field of view and a magnified image.
- ‘All his great pictures were taken with equipment any amateur could have had, mostly 35 mm cameras with a standard 50 mm lens or the occasional telephoto for landscapes.’
- ‘If you're taking a picture of a mountain range, you might want to use a telephoto lens, a lens with an especially long focal length.’
- ‘Lenses shorter than 50 mm are considered wide-angle lenses; those longer than normal are considered telephoto or long lenses.’
- ‘Regardless of format, a telephoto or zoom lens is a must for serious wildlife work.’
- ‘The best lens to use is the standard 50 mm lens or a short telephoto.’