One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who works at the switchboard of a telephone exchange.
- ‘The manager meanwhile served as the telephone operator.’
- ‘The telephone operator will assess how serious the emergency is and then decides which response is most appropriate.’
- ‘Next, I was struggling on the phone to get information from a Mexican telephone operator when there was a soft tap on my door.’
- ‘The first person to speak to you will be the telephone operator, who will ask whether you require the ambulance, fire, or police service.’
- ‘In the new age of communication, there may be no need for a telephone operator very soon.’
- ‘In Florida I worked as a telephone operator for two days at a friend's farm.’
- ‘I also discovered among my parents’ papers a long handwritten story about a telephone operator mistakenly connecting two callers.’
- ‘He was a radio telephone operator, grenadier and machine gun operator.’
- ‘In fact her older sister Elizabeth worked as a telephone operator in town and listened in enough to know everything that was going on in the community.’
- ‘As a young woman she worked as a telephone operator and relished telling stories of overheard conversations.’
- ‘Well, what do you think a telephone operator does?’
- ‘Being a telephone operator was one of the first full-time jobs for women in the workplace.’
- ‘The telephone operator is able to validate need in real time using computerized maintenance records.’
- ‘Carmichael pressed a button and the screen switched back to the telephone operator at the Police Information Line.’
- ‘She had managed to get two high-paying jobs: one as a telephone operator and the other as a lawyer's secretary.’
- ‘When François is away on business, he meets an attractive telephone operator named Emilie.’
- ‘Their principal staff officer was a captain, along with a radio telephone operator.’
- ‘One telephone operator and one policeman greeted me with baffled, incredulous looks.’
- ‘For six months, she was a food-factory inspector, then a telephone operator, a receptionist, and a light-bulb saleswoman.’
- ‘Gladys worked as a telephone operator in the Telephone exchange.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.