[treated as singular] The branch of information technology which deals with the long-distance transmission of computerized information.
- ‘This is much less expensive and allows virtually anyone with a cell phone access to telematics.’
- ‘The situation for vehicle telematics differs greatly from the mobile phone market.’
- ‘We have used a common definition of vehicle telematics as the combination of location with two-way communication in vehicles.’
- ‘This transformation will make telematics an essential element of a new generation of personalized mobile services.’
- ‘Improvements in connectivity through telematics or the ubiquitous cell phone enable us to survive.’
1970s: blend of telecommunication and informatics.