One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An administrative area in parts of India.
- ‘Further, athletic competitions for youth can be organized at the tehsil, district, division, province and national levels.’
- ‘This gruesome incident had sent shock waves in the entire tehsil.’
- ‘Over 60 per cent of this area is made up of the single tehsil of Kishtwar, which, in turn, divides equally into four major valley systems.’
- ‘The party will organise public meetings, rallies, demonstrations, dharnas at tehsils, districts and state-level, he added.’
- ‘All activities of the tehsil, the block or the village should be recorded and checks maintained as to where the things are going wrong.’
From Persian and Urdu taḥsīl, from Arabic, ‘collection, levying of taxes’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.