Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An administrative area in parts of India.→ tahsil
- ‘The party will organise public meetings, rallies, demonstrations, dharnas at tehsils, districts and state-level, he added.’
- ‘All activities of the tehsil, the block or the village should be recorded and checks maintained as to where the things are going wrong.’
- ‘This gruesome incident had sent shock waves in the entire tehsil.’
- ‘Over 60 per cent of this area is made up of the single tehsil of Kishtwar, which, in turn, divides equally into four major valley systems.’
- ‘Further, athletic competitions for youth can be organized at the tehsil, district, division, province and national levels.’
From Persian and Urdu taḥsīl, from Arabic, collection, levying of taxes.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.