Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- non-standard spelling of tv
- ‘We know the air's unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit and watch our teevees while some local newscaster tells us today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it is supposed to be.’
- ‘But it wasn't until last March that I finally got ‘real’ cable into the house, when the Internet people said we could get a discount on our service if we added cable teevee.’
- ‘In fact I do believe I'm actually enjoying the quiet time watching a little teevee, reading the odd book and being creative on the old knitting front.’
- ‘My favorite teevee performer (at least when I was nine) was always the most energetic, vital guy around.’
- ‘While filming his reality teevee show he had an accident with a chainsaw, requiring 40 stitches.’
- ‘A theory used to exist in the teevee business that it was preferable to lie about the length of shows that ran late at night.’
- ‘Turning off the teevee, or limiting it to specific shows, specific times, may help, too.’
- ‘Now, it's not too hard to get children to read comic books, and I was enthusiastic from the start, aided by being raised in a rural area with almost no movie theatres, and only about two channels on the black and white teevee.’
- ‘They talk about us on the teevee and everything.’
- ‘The difference, of course, lies in the characters' respective places in their teevee universes.’
- ‘There's an interesting point about how brand awareness of a teevee show is treated as a liability by the teevee industry.’
- ‘And would it be within the bounds of this thread to ask the parents here how they feel about their nippers' relationship with the teevee more generally?’
- ‘It's good to see that dissent really is alive over there, even if we don't get to see anything of it on the teevee.’
- ‘I watched the teevee for a few minutes - but it's not all of Fantasia, they just keep playing Night on Bald Mountain over and over again.’
- ‘In recent days, teevee brought us pictures of the candidate in a wetsuit on a surfboard.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.