Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small spinning top spun with the fingers, especially one with four sides lettered to determine whether the spinner has won or lost.
- ‘However, variations of the game were invented when teetotums developed a body in the shape of a cube.’
- ‘A teetotum is essentially a stick with flat sides and a round stick through the middle.’
- ‘Another guest describes a patient who thought he was a spinning top, or teetotum, and liked to spin around, at which the guest prepares to demonstrate before being interrupted by another table guest who whispers into his ear.’
- ‘To reinforce this, the games were played with teetotums, rather than dice which were associated with gambling.’
- ‘Each player places a coin in the pot and then take turns spinning the teetotum following the instructions when the teetotum stops spinning.’
- ‘In England and Ireland, the game of totum or teetotum, first mentioned in approximately 1500, was especially popular at Christmastime.’
- ‘A six-sided teetotum or die and a playing piece of a different color for each player, are also needed.’
- ‘Dominoes, playing cards, counters and teetotums were all used to play games in the 19th century but with adults more so than with children.’
- ‘The Victorians believed that children should not play with dice because they were associated with gambling so instead they used teetotums, numbered tops, to determine the number of moves.’
Early 18th century (as T totum): from T (representing totum, inscribed on the side of the toy) + Latin totum the whole (stake). The letters on the sides (representing Latin words) were T (= totum), A (= auferre take away), D (= deponere put down), and N (= nihil nothing).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.