One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
temperance, abstinence, abstention, sobrietyView synonyms
- ‘It was formed in 1901 as part of the Temperance Movement a series of Victorian religious and political pressure groups advocating teetotalism.’
- ‘With the growth of the movement came a more radical agenda of teetotalism and a concerted campaign to end the state's liquor licensing system through local option legislation and eventually state prohibition in the 1850s.’
- ‘One reason for the multiplicity of groups was a difference of opinion which soon emerged between the advocates of moderation in drinking and those who demanded total abstinence - or teetotalism.’
- ‘Personally, as I grow older, I tend more toward my mother's teetotalism and away from my father's moderate drinking.’
- ‘Not the least of these differences was the generous supply of alcohol in one and the teetotalism of the other.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.