One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Begin a round or hole of golf by playing the ball from a tee.‘we spend ten minutes practising putting before we tee off’
sombre, low-spirited, downcast, sad, dejected, depressed, low, gloomy, despondent, dispirited, disheartened, forlorn, woebegoneView synonyms
- ‘The day began early at the Royal Golf Course where competitors teed off.’
- ‘Just as the two lady golfers teed off at the tenth hole, they heard a loud bang and saw the helicopter come down over the beach and fall on the rocks.’
- ‘Batting in softball, teeing off in golf and hitting a forehand in tennis also require the type of muscle conditioning provided by this exercise.’
- ‘Last Sunday morning 23 golfers teed off in a nine hole single stroke.’
- ‘With a three-shot cushion, Tiger Woods tees off at the last hole - and sends his drive straight up the middle of the fairway.’
- 1.1informal Make a start on something.‘in November, the Society teed off with their inaugural meeting’
- ‘Let's tee off to a good start.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.