Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular or plural Large-scale processes affecting the structure of the earth's crust.‘there remains an area of active tectonics north of the mountain chain’‘Nicol had come to different conclusions about the tectonics of the area’
- ‘He also questions the stratigraphy of the graben and the timing of north-south extensional tectonics.’
- ‘The significant time gap between orogenic deformation and thermal metamorphism implies that metamorphism in many other orogens may not necessarily be due to compressive tectonics.’
- ‘As the two examples confirm, the largest failures and most rapid rock-slope development rates are associated with steep, mountain environments and with active tectonics.’
- ‘The results may help to reconstruct the orogenic nappe structure that prevailed in the area before the region was reworked by extensional tectonics.’
- ‘These data clearly demonstrate that parts of the Scottish basement underwent major thick-skinned tectonics during the Grenvillian orogeny.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.