Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Incomprehensible technical jargon:‘interface cards came with instructions written in terse technobabble’
- ‘There's some astonishing imagination at work here, and when the big central concept is revealed, near the end, it makes sense and is convincing rather than being empty technobabble.’
- ‘Instead, we are offered a tiny tale filled with comical technobabble.’
- ‘‘Resonant energy transfer’ is sheer technobabble - and not even good technobabble.’
- ‘In the heart of this technological maze sat two men, absorbed in technobabble.’
- ‘Numerous lapses in continuity and story logic - not to mention the constant flood of technobabble - also hampered numerous episodes.’
- ‘The humor, technobabble, and melodrama are all here.’
- ‘One of the film's chief flaws is its reliance on gadgets and technobabble over real action.’
- ‘He knows when to sprinkle his company saga with telling anecdotes and when to lay off the technobabble.’
- ‘Unfortunately, it leaves the public in the position of trying to discern legitimate science from nonsensical technobabble.’
- ‘Surprisingly, the show actually manages to make that entire plot comprehensible - and free from the usual expository technobabble that drags down many of its kin.’
- ‘You come in here and waste my time by talking security technobabble!’
- ‘As with the other pseudosciences listed above, even educated, intelligent people get taken in by the convincing technobabble used to promote it, but careful testing and analysis soon reveal the flaws.’
- ‘Alas, a technobabble loophole helps save the day.’
- ‘I didn't come all the way here just to hear someone like you spouting out a whole bunch of technobabble.’
- ‘All of this technobabble will cease very shortly.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.