One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in South Africa) an institution offering technical and vocational education at tertiary level.
- ‘As the route to paid employment, universities remain first choice, technikons second, and colleges for further education and training a poor third.’
- ‘He said government departments had bursary schemes in technikons and technical colleges to provide learners with financial assistance.’
- ‘At this time of the year when school, university, technikon and other associated tertiary education fees need to be paid, I am being inundated with requests for assistance from distraught parents.’
- ‘South African universities and technikons are home to hot new innovations in the sciences, health sciences and engineering fields.’
- ‘This guide contains information on about 3000 courses offered by universities, technikons, private and technical colleges in South Africa.’
Greek, noun use of the neuter of tekhnikos ‘relating to skills’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.