Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A light yeast-based sweet bun with dried fruit, typically served toasted and buttered.
- ‘Cake forks and serviettes were provided, thankfully not placed under the buttered teacake!’
- ‘The menu mentioned toasted teacakes, scones, doughnuts, Danish pastries and flapjack.’
- ‘At a recent talk we gave, Ann was accused of eating nothing but scones and toasted teacakes.’
- ‘Or maybe a nice slice of Battenberg or a toasted teacake - anything that might allow me to occasionally get my feet under my own table.’
- ‘But there's enough coffee and teacakes to keep any man focused.’
- ‘However tea/coffee and a scone or toasted teacake should cost under £2.50.’
- ‘Ann was delighted with a freshly-toasted teacake while I enjoyed a toasted cinnamon muffin.’
- ‘The teacakes are wrapped individually in foil.’
- ‘Furniture endorsements, chocolate teacakes, bowls aficionado… life rarely gets more fulfilling than that.’
- ‘The three-packs of snowballs and caramel teacakes are being sold through petrol station forecourts and other outlets.’
- ‘A toasted teacake, scone or flapjack was an option.’
- ‘In fact, it is a genuine snack spot with scones, teacakes, cakes and biscuits being the staple fare.’
- ‘Cups of coffee start at £1.25, teacakes are £1.20, scones £1.50 and banana or strawberry ice cream milkshakes are £1.65.’
- ‘Although attractively and efficiently served both the teacake and croissants came on top of serviettes.’
- ‘Ann was provided with both a butter packet and a sachet of Flora for her teacake.’
- ‘As if all this were not enough, she also plies participants with a delicious feast of teacakes, sandwiches, scones and cakes created from period recipes.’
- ‘Scones with jam and cream cost £1.70 as did a special of a toasted teacake with a cup of tea or coffee.’
- ‘For the sake of this review, we shared a toasted teacake and a fruit scone with butter and jam.’
- ‘Scones, teacakes, date and walnut or spiced fruit loaf are priced at £1.25 or less.’
- ‘It was still early in the day so Ann opted for a toasted teacake and hot chocolate.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.