One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A light yeast-based sweet bun with dried fruit, typically served toasted and buttered.
- ‘Furniture endorsements, chocolate teacakes, bowls aficionado… life rarely gets more fulfilling than that.’
- ‘The teacakes are wrapped individually in foil.’
- ‘However tea/coffee and a scone or toasted teacake should cost under £2.50.’
- ‘A toasted teacake, scone or flapjack was an option.’
- ‘Cake forks and serviettes were provided, thankfully not placed under the buttered teacake!’
- ‘Cups of coffee start at £1.25, teacakes are £1.20, scones £1.50 and banana or strawberry ice cream milkshakes are £1.65.’
- ‘Or maybe a nice slice of Battenberg or a toasted teacake - anything that might allow me to occasionally get my feet under my own table.’
- ‘Scones, teacakes, date and walnut or spiced fruit loaf are priced at £1.25 or less.’
- ‘At a recent talk we gave, Ann was accused of eating nothing but scones and toasted teacakes.’
- ‘It was still early in the day so Ann opted for a toasted teacake and hot chocolate.’
- ‘But there's enough coffee and teacakes to keep any man focused.’
- ‘The three-packs of snowballs and caramel teacakes are being sold through petrol station forecourts and other outlets.’
- ‘In fact, it is a genuine snack spot with scones, teacakes, cakes and biscuits being the staple fare.’
- ‘The menu mentioned toasted teacakes, scones, doughnuts, Danish pastries and flapjack.’
- ‘For the sake of this review, we shared a toasted teacake and a fruit scone with butter and jam.’
- ‘Ann was delighted with a freshly-toasted teacake while I enjoyed a toasted cinnamon muffin.’
- ‘Scones with jam and cream cost £1.70 as did a special of a toasted teacake with a cup of tea or coffee.’
- ‘As if all this were not enough, she also plies participants with a delicious feast of teacakes, sandwiches, scones and cakes created from period recipes.’
- ‘Although attractively and efficiently served both the teacake and croissants came on top of serviettes.’
- ‘Ann was provided with both a butter packet and a sachet of Flora for her teacake.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.