One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A social gathering in the afternoon at which tea, cakes, and other light refreshments are served.
- ‘No doubt we will see the site of the famous tea party and other historical locations as well as getting Nat's own views on that interesting part of the world.’
- ‘At least the Vicar's tea party serves refreshments.’
- ‘The local ladies of the Limerick Invalid fund thank all who contributed so generously to the afternoon tea party.’
- ‘Yu made the announcement yesterday afternoon during a tea party with the media in the Cabinet complex.’
- ‘We had a tea party at the hospital and a glass of wine on the ward and he got his telegram from the Queen.’
- ‘They could put on a tea party and have everyone wear white gloves and the right would still say the feminazis are on the march.’
- ‘I appreciate the invitation for the afternoon tea party with Princess Mikasa but unfortunately had to go on to something else.’
- ‘But the annual tea party to reunite former residents and their families has been brought to an end after 12 years.’
- ‘One usually thinks of a tea party as a festive occasion, but this gathering is one that may have occurred on a daily basis.’
- ‘The soirée consists of a tea party with your closest friends and their mothers.’
- ‘It looks as if they've had a tea party - it's a right mess.’
- ‘The tea party organised by Balla Foroige Club was well supported on Saturday evening and Sunday morning and was a great success.’
- ‘The friendship started, of all places, at a tea party at the principal's house.’
- ‘Pull out the teapot and teacups and hold an afternoon tea party.’
- ‘Later, in the United Church Hall, war veterans enjoyed a tea party prepared by Cricklade WI members and served by children.’
- ‘It is the perfect outfit for a posh lady to wear to a garden tea party.’
- ‘Some people attended day centres but often they hardly knew anyone and a small intimate group of 12 at a tea party allowed them to make friends and talk more easily.’
- ‘He certainly is not planning a tea party, that's for sure.’
- ‘The singer hosted a tea party to herald the latest departure in her varied two-decade career - writing children's stories.’
- ‘Volunteer drivers are also needed monthly - or less if on a rota - to chauffeur two members each, join in the tea party and help as needed.’
2A US political movement that emerged from a series of conservative protests against the federal government in 2009.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.