Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A taxonomic group of any rank, such as a species, family, or class.
taxonomic group, group, order, class, subclass, genus, speciesView synonyms
- ‘Each taxon represents a single species, except where the number of taxa is given in parentheses.’
- ‘In other schemes the phylum Arthropoda is retained and the major taxa are given subphylum or class status.’
- ‘Whether these taxa should be considered species is an issue that may never be resolved.’
- ‘The extent of polyploidy in target taxa and related species was generally unknown.’
- ‘For this study, we were not able to obtain standard samples for these species taxa.’
1920s: back-formation from taxonomy.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.