One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A taxonomic group of any rank, such as a species, family, or class.
taxonomic group, group, order, class, subclass, genus, speciesView synonyms
- ‘Whether these taxa should be considered species is an issue that may never be resolved.’
- ‘Each taxon represents a single species, except where the number of taxa is given in parentheses.’
- ‘For this study, we were not able to obtain standard samples for these species taxa.’
- ‘In other schemes the phylum Arthropoda is retained and the major taxa are given subphylum or class status.’
- ‘The extent of polyploidy in target taxa and related species was generally unknown.’
1920s: back-formation from taxonomy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.