One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A route along which an aircraft can taxi when moving to or from a runway.
- ‘The government has acquired 3,800 acres of land wherein a 4,000 metre-long runway, taxiways, an apron area with aircraft stands and a terminal building will come up.’
- ‘In addition to runways and taxiways, Sigel says most airport gate areas may not be sufficient to handle the new plane.’
- ‘We have charts that show the names of all the runways, taxiways, terminals, etc.’
- ‘However, the bays and taxiways were unsealed and unsuitable for the operation of aircraft; in the wet season they would be completely inaccessible.’
- ‘A low power laser could create what would appear like a ‘wall of light’ at the intersections of taxiways and runways.’
- ‘Dash 2 had aborted at 100 knots, and the pilot was able to slow the aircraft enough to pull off the runway onto a taxiway.’
- ‘The runways, taxiways, and ramps had not been maintained, water supplies were brought in by trucks, and a system of portable generators and batteries provided the only available electrical power.’
- ‘The pilots landed at Laredo, left the aircraft sitting on a taxiway and fled into the night.’
- ‘Keep the airplane moving when you're transitioning from the taxiway to the runway.’
- ‘Moving out onto the Paine Field taxiway, the aircraft moved to the north end for engine runs.’
- ‘We landed normally, turned off the active, completed the secure checklist, and exited the aircraft on the taxiway.’
- ‘The remains of the runway, dispersal areas, taxiways and bone yard are all still there along with the remnants of a war that ended nearly 60 years ago.’
- ‘The funds go directly to airports and will also cover noise barriers near runways and taxiways and improved systems to monitor engine sound levels.’
- ‘The circuit uses part of one runway and some taxiways, leaving 75 per cent of the airfield still available for flying operations.’
- ‘He and his three-man team are all qualified electricians responsible for 3300 fittings that comprise Tindal's runway, taxiways and Ordnance Loading Area lighting system.’
- ‘Pilots taxiing onto runways or taxiways without clearance accounted for 62% of the cases.’
- ‘Snow covered taxiways and runways present a variety of problems while taxiing.’
- ‘In the second phase, a second terminal building and another runway is to be constructed with a taxiway for aircraft landing and taking off.’
- ‘That includes hangars and parking areas for the Wedgetail and improvements to the runways and taxiways.’
- ‘Prior to any takeoff, it's also important to be aware of the contamination on the taxiways and runways.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.