Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device used in taxis that automatically records the distance travelled and the fare payable.
milometer, odometer, counterView synonyms
- ‘With this in mind he wants: swivel front passenger seats in all cars, a minimum car size, a minimum engine size, talking taximeters and older cars off the road.’
- ‘Sri Lankan score is running like an Indian taximeter.’
- ‘In the case of this defence of the Christian conviction I confess that I would as soon begin the argument with one thing as another; I would begin it with a turnip or a taximeter cab.’
- ‘For all journeys outside the taximeter areas, fares may be negotiated between driver and customer.’
- ‘I don't know how the driver managed to make the taximeter read 600 yuan because we learned in the hotel that the fare should have been between 120 and 130 yuan.’
- ‘From Monday, January 28, Laois County Council set maximum fare structure for taxis licensed to operate in the taximeter area of Portlaoise.’
- ‘The Co. Council has decided to send a submission to the Commission for Taxi Regulation seeking to have the administrative areas of Tramore and Lismore town councils designated as taximeter areas.’
- ‘It is expected that all taximeters will be converted to the euro by February 9.’
- ‘He highlighted that taximeters will not be changing over to the Euro until midday on January 1.’
- ‘The new regulations will come into effect on July 1 from which date a taximeter must be installed in each vehicle.’
- ‘Electric trams, taximeter cabs and motorised buses plied the streets of the capital looking for trade.’
Late 19th century: from French taximètre, from taxe tariff, from the verb taxer to tax + -mètre (instrument) measuring.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.